Introduce new flavors with this tasty meal.
4 hours, 20 minutes
4 hours, 45 minutes
2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced-sodium)
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ginger (ground)
25 1/4 ounces chicken (thighs, boneless, skinless; about 9 thighs or 1 pound 9 1/4 ounces)
3 1/3 cups cabbage (fresh, shredded, 1/4" thick)
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Prepare marinade: In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vegetable oil, pepper, garlic powder, and ginger. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour half of marinade mixture into the bottom of a 9” x 13” glass or ceramic baking dish. Refrigerate the other half of the marinade mixture at 40 °F or lower for use in step 9 (referred to as “reserved marinade”).
- Place chicken in baking dish. Cover. Marinate in the refrigerator at 40 °F or lower for 2 hours. Flip chicken to marinate the other side. Cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 more hours. Wash hands after touching uncooked chicken (see chef tips).
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Spread shredded cabbage on the bottom of a clean 9” x 13” baking dish.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade (see chef tips).
- Place chicken on top of cabbage. Wash hands after touching uncooked chicken.
- Pour the reserved marinade over the chicken.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Heat chicken to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds. Remove from the oven.
- Serve 1½ chicken thighs with ¼ cup cooked cabbage.
- Chicken can be marinated overnight in the refrigerator at 40 °F or lower. If marinating overnight, marinade should cover the chicken thighs to prevent the need to flip them over.
- Do not re-use marinade.
Meal Type: Dinner
Food group: Vegetables, Protein
Season: Winter, Fall