Prepare this chili in advance, and bring a bowl to work for a filling, weekday lunch.
- Brown the ground beef, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in a large saucepan. Drain and rinse to reduce the fat content.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the salt and pepper. Mix well and add water if the chili is too thick.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and the flavor has blended. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- For a well-rounded meal, serve with a garden salad and whole wheat bread.
- You can substitute other ground meat or meat substitute in this recipe as needed. Try it with ground turkey, chicken, or bison, or with reconstituted textured vegetable protein.
- Leftover chili stores well. Eat within 2-3 days. Alternatively, freeze leftovers in individual or double portions for a quick microwave meal. When reheating leftover chili, bring it to a boil.