Kids will love these whole-grain waffles made with whole-wheat flour and oats.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar, and pecans in a large bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, milk, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl, and mix well.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir together. Do not overmix; mixture should be a bit lumpy.
- Whip egg whites to medium peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron, and cook until the waffle iron light signals it’s done or steam stops coming out of the iron. A waffle is perfect when it is crisp and well-browned on the outside with a moist, light, airy and fluffy inside. (Or make pancakes.)
- Add fresh fruit and a light dusting of powdered sugar to each waffle, and serve.