A change up to this year’s traditional Thanksgiving stuffing.
1 cup farro (dried)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion (red, chopped)
1/4 cup celery (chopped)
3/4 cup Granny Smith apples (diced)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup scallions (chopped [green onion])
1 cup parsley (fresh)
2 2/3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
1 cup cranberries (dried)
- In a small pot over high heat bring the stock to a boil. Once the stock achieves a bowl add the farro and stir. Reduce heat to low and cover allow to cook for 15-20 minutes or until all liquid is gone.
- Place a sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Once the onions become translucent add the apples and scallions.
- Continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes until apples soften slightly.
- Combine the farro and sauté mixtures in a mixing bowl. Add the garlic powder, lemon juice, scallions, parsley, seasoned salt, black pepper and cranberries.
- Serve as a Thanksgiving alternative or with any fall inspired dish. Enjoy!
Equipment Needed: Small pot, Sauté Pan, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Spoon or Rubber Spatula
Meal Type: Dinner
Food group: Fruits, Vegetables, Grains
Season: Winter, Fall