Did you know that you can make your own fresh, delicious, whole-grain rich bagels at home? This recipe makes enough to share with family and friends, or to freeze extras to last you for weeks.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Mix sugar, yeast, water, and flours together.
- Rub inside of bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl and flip to coat with oil. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough and divide into 16 portions. Shape into a ball and poke a hole through the middle with your fingers.
- Place on a well-greased baking sheet and cover with a towel to rise again for 15-20 minutes. Put 2 inches of water in a pot and heat to boiling.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently place each bagel into a rapidly boiling water for 1 minute on each side. Remove and dry on a towel. Place back on baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle bagels with cinnamon/sugar or salt.
- Bake at 475°F for 8-12 minutes.