This creamy Peanutty African Stew can warm you up on a cold fall or winter day.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and milk. Return to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with peanuts and green onion, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Substitute a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach for the fresh spinach.
- Flavor boosters: chopped cilantro, red and green peppers, raisins.