Kids will love these stuffed peppers. Serve this recipe before heading out for trick or treating.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook brown rice or barley on stovetop according to package directions.
- Gently rub produce under cold running water.
- Cut tops off peppers and spoon out seeds. Set aside.
- Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Cook chopped onions until soft, about 5 minutes, in skillet over medium heat.
- Mix together garbanzo beans, ½ cup cheese, tomatoes, cooked onion, green chilies, garlic, chili powder, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Add cooked rice and mix gently to combine.
- Spoon mixture evenly into peppers.
- Add peppers to a baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Create festive peppers by carefully cutting a jack-o-latern face.