The enjoyment of fresh produce enhanced with summer-centric flavors.
1 large onion (red, cut into 1 inch pieces)
2 medium squashes (green, cut into 3/4 inch thick rounds)
1 medium squash (yellow, cut into 3/4 inch thick rounds)
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons basil (fresh, cut into ribbons [about 6 leaves])
2 tablespoons oregano (fresh, finely chopped [about 6 sprigs])
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 cloves black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic (finely chopped)
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
lemon juice (1 whole lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together garlic, herbs, lemon, salt, black pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil to create a marinade.
- Place onions, yellow squash, green squash and tomatoes in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Pour marinade in bag and shake until all vegetables are coated. Let sit for at least 1 hour. Vegetables can marinate for up to 24 hours, in refrigerator, if you prefer to prep ahead.
- After vegetables are done marinating, prepare skewers starting with green squash flesh side out, then onion, tomato, yellow squash, onion, tomato, and finish with green squash.
- Place constructed kabobs on a hot grill and cook for about 7 minutes on each side brushing every few minutes with marinade until cooked through. The squash will be tender and the onions will have a slight char on the edges.
- Serve on the skewers or off the skewer. Enjoy on any summer night.
- If you do not have a grill, these kabobs can easily be roasted in a pre-heated oven at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- Equipment Needed: Measuring cups and spoons, whisk, medium bowl, 1 gallon freezer bag, kabob skewers, marinade brush, grill or grill pan (optional)
Meal Type: Lunch, Dinner
Food group: Vegetables
Season: Summer, Fall