FAQWhat's in Food
- Where can I get information on the level of calories, fat, protein, vitamins and minerals in various foods?
- What is the difference between calories and kilocalories?
- Where can I find a chart or list of foods with calcium?
- Is there a law that requires food labels to list ingredients that commonly cause food allergies?
- Is the USDA Database for the Added Sugars Content of Selected Foods still available?
Smart Nutrition 101
- I heard that the Food Guide Pyramid has been replaced. Is that true?
- What is a "healthy diet"?
- How can I find the newest Dietary Guidelines for Americans?
- I would like to get advice about my eating habits. Who should I talk to?
- How many servings from each food group do I need each day?
- I've heard that people should cut back on how much trans fat they eat but I'm confused about what trans fats are and what foods have them.
- I know there are different types of fiber in foods and that they have different effects on the body. Can you tell me about them? How much fiber should I eat?
- How is food digested?
- How do I know if nutrition information I find on the internet is reliable?
- How can I get enough nutrients without consuming too many calories?
- How can I burn off my stored body fat?
- How many calories do I need to burn to lose a pound of weight?
- I'm on a diet to lose weight. Do I still need to exercise?
Nutrition and Health Issues
- How can I get nutrition advice about a medical condition?
- I just found out I have diabetes and need information to help me eat right.
- Is it true that men can get osteoporosis? I thought it just affected women.
- What is the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance?
- What are the most common foods that people are allergic to?
Shopping, Cooking and Meal Planning
- Where can I get information on food labeling?
- I've just moved to a new area and would like to find out if there is a farmers market nearby.
- Years ago I received information from USDA on canning fruits and vegetables and would like to know how to get updated information.
- Does USDA have menus or recipes for people on a budget?
- How can I avoid foodborne illness and food poisoning?
- How long should I keep leftover food?
- Can you direct me to information on dietary supplements (including herbal supplements) and alternative medicine?
- Should I check with my physician or healthcare provider before taking a dietary supplement?
- Is it true that I can get all the vitamins/minerals I need from the food that I eat?